Human Canvas

Photo by Kianna Garner

Kianna Garner, Staff Writer

Most science finals include pencil and paper, but in Mrs. Scott’s Anatomy class the final involved paint brushes and a student body as a canvas. Wrapping up their unit on muscles, students showed their knowledge visually by painting muscles on their fellow classmates.

The idea for the test came from fellow science teacher, Mrs. Carabello, “I think it is better than a test on paper because it is more visual” Mrs. Scott said. Students seemed to agree. “I liked the paint final because it was unique and fun. And I thought it was a great interactive way of learning and testing your knowledge on the muscles” Chloe Heindl said.

While Heindl was busy painting on the black and red Tempra paint to outline some major muscles, including Mrs. Scott’s favorite, Latissimus Dorsi (lower back), seniors Abby Rein and Haley Longstreth were fighting the cold shivers from the tickling wet paint brushes up and down their bodies.

It was a mutual feeling among those being painted that the worst part was the strokes of the ice cold paint brushes. “The paint was cold, the room was cold, and it tickled so much! The end result made everything totally worth it. Being painted is a calming and interesting sensation… it was fascinating to see my muscle anatomy brought from the inside to the surface” said Longstreth. “I disliked how cold the paint was and how it tickles getting painted on my back and stomach” in agreement said Rein.

For those who volunteered to be the canvas for the muscle painting, Mrs. Scott offered not only a unique experience but a little extra credit to go with it. “I volunteered because I remember my friend did it last year and she told me how fun it was! Also the extra credit was nice!” said Rein.

When Longstreth arrived to class on the day of the final she was not planning to have her body be painted. “I had an opportunity to volunteer last minute because one of the original volunteers changed their mind, and since I had planned on running later that day, I had clothes available to participate” said Longstreth.

A human canvas might not appeal to everyone, but Rein said, “I liked the experience! Like when am I going to have my entire body painted with muscles again? It’s just one of those things you only get to do once.”