Ending The Season On A Good Note

Alex Fatkin, Staff Writer

Stepping onto the field on October, 29th the odds didn’t look positive for the Girls Varsity Soccer Team. They were playing Shorecrest who was undefeated the entire season. The teams went back and forth the entire half and after the first 40 minutes the score was 0-0. Halfway through the second half the Grizzlies had an opportunity to score and took advantage of it.  Jocelyn Matheny dribbled across the top of the box and sniped it up and over the keeper into the upper V. “The second I shot the ball I knew it was going in.  The look on the keepers face was priceless when she realized she missed the ball,” Matheny said. “It felt amazing to be able to help my team out and make the shot count.”  In the last few seconds of the game, Goalkeeper Emilie Pederson made a game winning save off a cross from Shorecrest. The ball came in and was headed towards the goal, Pederson dove, blocking the ball and sending it out of harm’s way. The whistle blew seconds after the save and the Grizzlies rushed the field celebrating the huge win. The 1-0 win sent them through to districts for the first time is the last three years. The big win is sending them into the post season with their heads held high. The first playoff game will be this Saturday, November 1st at 7:00 PM at Arlington high school.