First Game First Win

photo by Madison Stauffer

Alex Fatkin, Sports Editor

After many weeks of anticipation, the Soccer season has started.  The team’s season ended sooner than expected last year, now they plan on getting as far as they can in the State Championship Tournament this year.  “We will take it one game at a time and hope to get a league championship.  We have a chip on our shoulder from last season and will use that as motivation for this season,” Spencer Pettit said.

On the night of the season opener, the Grizzlies played Issaquah High School.  After a short rain before the game, the sky’s cleared up for kick off.  After the first minute, Issaquah struck first.  The ball was played in the box and flicked on with a header, up and over goal keeper, Sahm Noorfeshan.  After the 37th minute, Chris Day received a through ball past the defensive line, dribbled to the end line and crossed the ball on the ground skimming across the wet turf to find Miles Johnston on the far post and tapped it in the goal.  “We started to find our relationship as a team and started playing as a family,” Miles Johnston said.

With the score tied 1-1, the Grizzlies were raring for another goal.  With shot after shot, the ball never seemed to find the back of the net. Until the 70th minute.  Wyatt Miller received a ball down the line and cut toward the goal.  The shot came off his foot and hit the far post.  Riley Prescott was there for the rebound, and finish, putting the Grizzlies up 2-1 with 10 minutes left in the game.  I didn’t have a lot to do with the goal.  Wyatt did most of the work and I just tapped it in, but it felt good to get the first win,” Riley Prescott said.

The team plays Snohomish High School on Friday, March 20th at 7:00 at Glacier Peak High School.