Not Enough Sleep?

A girl on her phone at night.
Credit: Stockphotos.com

A girl on her phone at night. Credit: Stockphotos.com

Elizabeth Schwartzoff, Staff Writer

Teenagers never seem to get enough sleep whether it is staying up finishing homework or being on your electronics. Most teenagers deal with not getting enough sleep no matter what they do. Experts say you need at least eight to ten hours of sleep in order to function properly throughout the day.

Not getting enough sleep is something almost everyone deals with but there are some solutions such as trying to not go on any electronics 30 minutes before to let your mind be at ease. It is very tempting to go on your phone after hearing a notification but silencing your phone can help you fall asleep faster. Research says the light from your phone can result in a disturbance of body rhythms and conceal the release of the hormone melatonin which helps you sleep.

“I think high schoolers should get eight hours or whatever doctors say, but I think everyone’s accepted the fact that no one does,” Sofie Halverson said.

Another common cause for sleep loss is stress or anxiety whether it is a big paper due or a big project can all be factors on not getting enough sleep. Homework is another leading factor because many teenagers do procrastinate. Getting into a routine could potentially help being about to finish everything and not have to stay up longer than necessary. “I try to get eight or nine hours on school nights,” John File said.

Getting more sleep would help improve your performance in school because some students can fall asleep due to not enough sleep. High schoolers tend to go to bed late on the weekdays and sleep in late on the weekends which can affect your internal alarm and damage the quality of your sleep. Teenagers may never get eight to ten hours of sleep but shooting for at least seven or more would be beneficial for your health.