Tomahawk to Grizzly

Emily Nina, Staff Writer

Mr. Hauck is new to our school this year. He’s teaching Modern World History and Psychology.  He came from Marysville-Pilchuck, and has worked in Nigeria, including building a library for a community that has never had one.  He has a niece and a nephew he loves to travel with, and has taken them to several places, including France.  Aside from being on a movie crew to document the life of people in Nigeria, Mr. Hauck spends his days making learning relatable for students.

Q: How long have you been teaching?

A: 20 years at Marysville-Pilchuck.  I started teaching because I’ve always loved working with kids.  During my sophomore year in high school I decided to become a teacher.

Q: If you could choose any other career, what would it be?

A: I’ve always thought it would be fun to be a sportscaster for ESPN.

Q: Why did you switch from MP to GP?

A:  I really wanted a new challenge, and to expand my horizons.  I love MP but professionally I needed to diversify my experiences.

Q:  What is your favorite thing about GP so far?

A:  Definitely all of the support I’ve gotten from students and staff.  Everybody is so helpful and welcoming.

Q: Did anything surprise you about our school?

A: Yes, I thought it would take me a lot longer to fit in, and feel at home.  But I got used to it right away.  I feel like I belong here.

Q: What do you miss most about MP?

A: All of my colleagues, and the close ties I have to students and families there.

Q: What are you most passionate about outside of school?

A: My work in Nigeria and other parts of the world.  I really care about helping kids in less fortunate situations see opportunities to better their lives and receive an education.  In Nigeria I worked with 20 people from Seattle and 20 people from a village to build a library in a town that had never seen one.