Setting Records and Making History

photo by Rachael Gitnes

Samantha Fatkin, Staff Writer

The Varsity girls basketball team is off to the best start ever. It’s a banner year for GP, the first time the girls varsity have had a winning streak last this long.

“This is one of the best teams I have ever coached,” Coach Brian Hill said. “We are off to a great start and I’m really excited.” This season the team is making history, as they are now the first girls’ varsity team to win 12 games in a row at Glacier Peak. Although the record is an exciting part of this journey “in the end, I just want to keep moving forward, get to state, and bring home some hardware,” Hill said.

This year the girls are ranked second in state. “It’s all about leaving a legacy, and I think it is an amazing opportunity for these girls to get the chance to do that,” Hill said. Senior Sadie Mensing agrees with Coach Hill, as this is her 4th year on the varsity team. Ever since I was a freshman, I’ve always wanted to break records, and this year I am finally able to be a part of that,” she said.

January 14th couldn’t come any faster for the team. As they walked into school on Wednesday morning there was a collective focus.  Lynnwood. Tonight the Grizzlies will face off against the #1 Lynnwood Royals. Each team holds an undefeated record. Tonight one team’s streak will end.