Filling It In

Filling It In

Kayla Wentland, Staff Writer

During homecoming week, you can smell the sweetness of the frosting, the cookies baking in the ovens as you walk down the common hallways. The sounds of spatulas scraping out the last bit of rainbow colored frostings, and the rush for the last batch of cupcakes make for a week of late nights in room 535.

A challenge each year for FCCLA (Family Career Community Leaders of America) is what cookie concept will correlate to the homecoming theme? Whether it is the actual shape or like this year, the detail to the cookie design is the most discussed item in the first meetings.

Many shapes were discussed to coordinate with the theme of Dancing Around the World. Flags and landmarks of the countries were discussed with the final decision being a cookie that represents all nations, a globe.

“I was a little nervous to flood the details onto the cookies because once it touches the cookie you can’t fix it,” club president Mackenzie Harper said.

With the new members joining and learning, most of the returners say that ‘flooding,’ or taking the powdered sugar based frosting and covering the cookie perfectly, is a skill that is tedious but easy to get the hang of.

“I think frosting the continents onto cookies is my number one talent,” laughed Harper. Making over three hundred perfect cookies for the student body is one thing the club members stress about but also serving them and having enough.

The night of the dance, the members gathered in the foods room around 6pm and finished the last touches on the cupcakes. You could sense the energy of the newbies. “Everyone was really excited and full of spirit, people were nervous but over all knew they would have a good time,” junior Shivani Chaudhary said.

As the cookies and cupcakes rolled out on carts, the music started and it was time to serve the slaved over treats.

“My favorite part was probably just dancing with Meghan Kunz and getting to share the food we made because that’s what it’s all about,” Chaudhary said.

At the end of the night, there were no cookies or cupcakes to be seen in sight. Well feed Grizzly’s were happy and so was the FCCLA members for yet another successful homecoming dance.