Marine Corps Changes

A marine corp soldier does strength training. Credit: The Marine Corps

Tyler Tschantre, Staff Writer

The united states Marine Corps is undergoing a couple of changes that don’t only affect the students of the Snohomish Marine Corps jrotc, but also our staff. A major change that was made was with our utilities uniform specifically our desert utility uniforms. Since we are no longer in the middle east fighting, the commandant of the marine corps made a change stating that they will get rid of the desert utilities and stay with our woodland green utilities year-round. Before, Marines would alternate between tan-and-brown desert camouflage in the summer and green woodland camouflage utilities in the winter on dates roughly coinciding with Daylight Savings Time changes. This change does not affect the students of the Snohomish Marine Corps jrotc program, but will directly affect our staff, Captain William Lennon (Ret.), and Gunnery Sergeant Verlon Roberts (Ret.).

Another major change that the Marine corps has made is that they added a new MOS to their MOS list. MOS is almost like their jobs. The new MOS will be called “force fitness instructor”. The primary duty of these Marines will be to help commanders develop unit PT programs They’ll also help with injury prevention, remedial PT and nutritional guidance. With this change happening, the Snohomish MCJROTC program might be adding a new billet (primary duty) to our billets that will only deal with physical fitness. Making a PT plan that fits every cadet’s physical fitness level will be a challenge.