Glacier Peak Varsity Girls Fall to Kentridge in the State Championships

The basketball team reacts to a tough loss.

Isabella Azar,

Shea O'Donnell, Staff Writer

The Glacier Peak Girls Basketball team had a season of 24 wins and two losses, their two losses being the first and last games of their season.

During the two prior Washington State Tournament games, they had barely been scraping in the wins, the first being 48-47 against Sunnyside, and the second being 55-51 against Moses Lake.

In the games leading up to the tournament, the girls had won all the games with a large point lead, including the District Championships,

At halftime and 3rd quarter the teams were tied, but in the end Kentridge pulled out an unbeatable lead in the 4th quarter.

After the game, the senior players and MVP’s of the game, Kayla Watkins, Sammy Fatkin, and Paisley Johnson were especially upset with their loss and high school basketball career coming to an end.

Though the team lost state championships, all three MVP’s are already committed to play for different colleges; Johnson to Brigham Young University, Watkins to Weber State University, and Fatkin to University of Arizona.

Also, the three MVP’s led in the 4A WESCO district standings; Watkins in points and rebounds per game, Johnson  in steals per game, and  Fatkin in assists per game.

The team ended the season as ranked first in the district, fifth in the state, and 248 in the nation. They averaged 69.3 points and 35.8 rebounds per game.

“This is good for us. We’ll be back next year,” another star player, junior Abbie Juozapaitis, said.