The Visit

Jared Eames at Bringham Young University.

Jared Eames, Staff Writer

After visiting with post graduates, what comes next is exciting. Recently I had the chance to talk to a former Glacier Peak student, Hayden Call. Call is currently attending Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. He shared some advice for college bound students.

“I was expecting it to be hard academically. It definitely lived up to that expectation. It is very competitive. A lot of times competitiveness makes a lot of people prideful. Yeah, my expectations for the most part have been fulfilled,” Call said.

For all his classes, they read. A ton. This surprised Call. He mentioned the reading he did in high school compared to his college classes.  “At BYU, it is just a ton of reading and every once in a while, you write papers, he said.”

During orientation Call received a daily planner. Call recommended having one with classes everyday because it was easier to keep track of when things were due. He also recommended that he should have brought more headphones, he was disappointed that he had left his wireless ones at home.

“A lot of the assignments are kept online as well as the schedules, but it’s nice to have a planner to write down assignments that I need to do that day,” Call said.

As in incoming freshmen next year, I enjoyed my visit to Brigham Young University and a chance to spend quality time with Call. I look forward with great anticipation to becoming a poor, humble college student.

“College is harder, especially being away from your family. It’s difficult, but I personally am enjoying it more than high school. I am getting a lot more done, learning a lot more at a faster pace, and it is more competitive than high school.” Call said.