Q & A with Payton Thompson

At 15, Payton Thompson has been dancing for almost her whole life.

Q & A with Payton Thompson

Melany Herrejon, Staff Writer

Q: How long have you been dancing?

I’ve been doing dance since right before I turned two. I dance about six and a half hours a day, six to seven days a week. I train mostly in ballet and contemporary ballet, but I also train some in jazz, flamenco, and modern.

Q: Why do you dance?

When I dance it makes me really happy and I get to forget about everything else that is going on in my life and just focus on dance. I love being on stage and performing for everybody, making them feel different emotions by the performance.

Q: What is your favorite memory associated with dance?

One thing I got to experience was that in the February of eighth grade I made it through the first two rounds of So You Think You can Dance for kids. I flew out to Los Angeles and they filmed us dancing on the streets, and that was super cool because I got to see myself on TV. The second round was improv and I did that in contemporary and when they asked to improv in hip hop I got cut, since I never train in that area. My favorite memory with dance, however, was when I was Clara in the Nutcracker when I was ten. That was always my dream role, so to be able to perform as her was amazing.

Q: What are your aspirations for when you become older?

After High School I aspire to audition for a few professional ballet companies and my hope is that I will be admitted, and from there I can decide where I would like to go. After dance I would still love to go to an University and complete my education.