Tick tick, TikTok?

Andrew Peterson, Staff Writer

Tiktok is one of the most widely known and used social media platforms today. As of 2019 TikTok, has claimed 500 million active users worldwide and since then has only grown. Celebrities are using the app, it’s not just high school students. The platform is based like a lip-sync. Most posts show the subject recorded to music or a soundtrack while the subject dances or ‘performs’ (I use the term loosely). TikTok has helped promote Hashtags such as “#Whatthedemonundermybedsees” as well as “#finalsweek” and “#everwonder.”

Along with the growing influence of TikTok, many posts have hashtags that will sort them into categories that are searchable so a viewer can see the same song performed by many accounts. Some hashtags worth checking out are #VibeCheck, #BestCostume and #getcrafting, however, hashtags are constantly are changing and evolving with new content.

TikTok is also a point of controversy. As the United States has grapples with privacy concerns on social media, specifically with Chinese companies, the app has become a target. According to Reuters, as of November 1, the United States launched a national security investigation into the company over censorship of content that criticizes the Chinese government and over the data collection of American users.

TikTok stated “While we cannot comment on ongoing regulatory processes, TikTok has made clear that we have no higher priority than earning the trust of users and regulators in the U.S. Part of that effort includes working with congress and we are committed to doing so.”

The users here use TikTok as a replacement for older, obsolete apps. “I use TikTok to find new songs and have a replacement for Vine and to watch meme videos,” Ashlyn Peterson said.

Kylie Leavengood uses the app to make funny videos with friends. “I like to create memories with the videos. I find filming them to be fun and creative because you can choose what you want to do with the videos.”