Going Inside the Minds of Mermaids

Holly Spear, Staff Writer

Our upcoming musical is ‘The Little Mermaid.’ After finishing auditions, rehearsals started this month, and the cast has been preparing for their roles. “I’m super excited about rehearsals starting up. We have gotten super far in some of our dance numbers, um we are learning lots of the songs, and we have finished learning one of the songs and are halfway through one of the biggest dances in the show,” Sage Touchette said.

Touchette has enjoyed learning the dances and the acting scenes are practiced daily as well. “The actual acting of the show is coming along. But as an assemble member, I am in just a lot of dancing and singing parts, so I haven’t done a lot of acting. It’s a lot of fun and it’s coming along and I’m super excited for April, when we finally get to show everyone on stage what we have been practicing for so long,” Touchette said.

Blocking is a big part of the actors’ jobs. This means each character has to learn where to walk, run or dance in a pattern so they don’t run into other actors during the scenne. “Rehearsal is going pretty well; we are almost through act one. It’s a great group and we are very close. Everyone is in a role that they love hopefully, and we are all just having a bunch of fun, ” Joshua Friang said.

One of the main characters Prince Eric who is played by Landon Thompson.  “Rehearsals are going well, we are just getting into the swing of things right now, especially with just the underclassmen. They’re just trying to figure things out. Everybody’s just learning, and it’s really fun and it’s just going to get better,” Thompson said.

Many new students are joining theater and the upperclassmen love being able to help out. “All rehearsals are going great. It’s a great group of people and they’re so mature most of the time. We are working on ‘She’s In Love’ right now and it’s really fun,” Veronica Nelson said.