Snow Closure Before Winter Break

Angela Wang, Staff Writer

Due to heavy snowfall, the school announced a snow closure on the last couple of days before winter break. On Monday, Dec. 19, the overnight snow from Sunday resulted in a two-hour delay, followed by a district-wide closure on Tuesday due to the continued snowfall and a bus that was stuck on Monday.

The previous Friday, Dec. 16, many students believed there would be no school the next Monday because of the six hours of snow on Sunday, according to the weather forecast, and thus winter break will start early. “I think it is going to snow on the weekend,” Elena Chen says, “It’s like a thing right now that everyone is saying, hopefully, we don’t have school for we’re all tired as well.”

However, the snow gradually died out at night, leaving only a thin layer Monday morning, causing a two-hour delayed start instead of a full cancellation. Mrs. Mallory surprisingly predicted this result, “I hope it snows, ‘cause I like snow––but not so much that I can’t get out of the neighborhood because that’s annoying. But not snow days [next week], two-hour delays are great, not snow days.”

Since it snowed heavily the next night, teachers and students did not expect school on Tuesday, since it’s only a half day. Elena gave her weather prediction again after missing the last, which turned out to be true, “I feel so disappointed, it was literally snowing when I walked to school today. But the good thing is, we’re not going to have school tomorrow and I can bet my life on it.”

Activities are planned for the break and playing in the snow became a great pleasure to many. While having fun, teachers wish the best for every student, “Hey students of Glacier Peak, please take care of yourselves over break, you’re important and you matter,” Mr. Christensen said.