The First GP Blood Drive

The First GP Blood Drive

Angela Wang, Staff Writer

On April 19, the GP Health Science & Health Promotion and the Future Medical Professional clubs collaborated with Bloodworks Northwest to host a blood drive for all students above 16-years-old. Surprisingly successful, the blood drive received more than 50 sign-ups, and a couple of walk-ins too.  Members from both clubs served as volunteers for the blood drive, believing it to be a good health related event.

In order to prepare for the blood drive, members started recruiting people weeks before by posting posters, announcing on social media, and connecting with the Bloodwork, “Planning was definitely the main part of the blood drive, and also the most difficult part. Going around and advertising along with putting up a table with a poster definitely recruited the majority, and just making more people aware. Also the announcements on canvas helped tremendously,” volunteer and donor Eden Munroe said.

Volunteering was also a meaningful experience for all volunteers. Despite earning seven hours of volunteer hours, many addressed that they learned more about hosting events and the benefits of the blood drive, “I was working at the front desk. I had a fun time checking in patients, and talking to them. Thanks to everyone who donated, and I wish we can organize more events like this in the future,” volunteer Olga Torchylo said.

For those donating, the blood drive was also very memorable, since for the majority it is their first time participating. GP students surely understood the importance of the blood drive, and were all very active when it happened, “I felt like it was a slightly scary but ultimately rewarding experience. Saving one life is saving the whole world entire, and I’m proud I could save three that day. It seems like a painful procedure but its nothing more painful than a vaccine shot, and the doctors are really kind, optimistic, and safe,” Ajay Sheena said.

Participants hope to give again next year.  “I think anything we could have improved was probably being more organized with how we were going to recruit people. But it all worked out in the end and went amazingly,” Eden Munroe said.