New Year, New Me!

Uri Ramirez, Staff Writer

After Christmas, students will make way for a new year, reflecting on what they did or didn’t do in the year before and making “new year’s resolutions.” By setting a New Year’s Resoloution, you’re setting yourself up for success. Sometimes the resolution doesn’t happen, but as the year goes by, we keep on trying and persuade ourselves to do better than last year. Or alternatively, we’ll make a new one and strive towards that instead, because we’ve changed our perspective on what we want to achieve. “I had [a resolution] for this year, which was to get all A’s, but it didn’t really work out. I think mine for the new year would now be to read my Bible more,” Georgia Goff said.

When a new year resolution is made, students want to commit to it throughout the year. It’s a good way to practice good habits. Some students relate their new year’s resolution to school in hopes that they do better in school. It’s not just students that make new year resolutions; teachers also have goals they work towards achieving for themselves for the new year. “I would like to be more positive,” Mr. Divito said. “And to acknowledge the people and students who are making a different in school and outside of school.”

Student and teachers use new year resolutions to take an opportunity to get things “right” in a new year. Having a resolution allows people to become more efficient in improving themselves by following a goal.  With a concrete plan, students find themselves committing more to their goal to become a better person than they were the year before, and really take that chance to keep improving. “I want to work harder and stay motivated. Last year I didn’t do really well, I was “cranky” at everyone, now I want to be the bigger person, you know?” Chessa Anderson said.