A Must or Bust: AP Language and Composition

Jacqueline Shaner, Sports Editor

When students hear the word AP before a class one can assume that majority of these kids tend to shrink away from the challenge. This is shown by the fact that out of the five plus general chemistry classes, there is only one class of AP Chemistry. The same thing happens in all other school departments: including English.

In Mr. Benson’s AP Language and Composition class students fear they will be demolished by the workload of a class that holds no value to their dream of becoming a McDonald’s manager, recruiter, tennis coach, etc. The term “advanced placement” is not to be feared when entering a class constructed to benefit every person in every profession and all aspects of their lives. Instead of advanced placement, think of it as “Argument and Persuasion.”

While the forty-minute timed writes may seem daunting, and sentence pattern work swims in your head, this class is found to be nothing but beneficial to the students that have taken and are taking it.

“I can write essays significantly faster, and my writing skills have gotten so much better overall. I can express my ideas better which is a very important skill in the real world,” Ajay Sheena said.

Most English classes are feared by the students who can’t bother to read a novel outside of the 50-minute class period, but this class provides an outlet where much shorter pieces of writing are worked on and read.

“Reading shorter speeches and anecdotes helps me know what we’re doing, and it makes me excited for the class,” Jack McChesney said. “You can move on much quicker so you can learn more.”

Aside from the learning aspect of the class Mr. Benson never fails to put a smile on his students face and lift the class with laughter before getting started on the important stuff. His memorable quotes list is filled to the brim with oddities the classes have talked about. For example, reading a class list in sounds because everyone’s name is a letter of the alphabet.

“My favorite part of the class is Benson making jokes all the time we mess around a ton, and he makes fun of me a lot,” Sheena said.

Benson’s AP Lang class is a must take, not just for the life skills you will learn, but also for the laughs and memories you will make along the way.