The Rise of Bedroom Pop in the Music Industry

Angelica Heimbigner, Staff Writer

While music isn’t always created in the comfort of their bedroom, a growing number of younger artists have started composing their songs with limited resources and minimalistic sounds. This genre has coined the name bedroom pop. Often, music artists incorporate a mix of other soft music genres such as indie, lo-fi, and pop. Most songs are based around the young adult or teenager experience; the lyrics commonly revolve around topics like angst and romance. A few artists that have garnered a significant amount of attention are Laufey, Clairo, grentperez, girl in red, Gracie Abrams, Beabadoobee, and Phoebe Bridgers. 

Not only are they gaining popularity online, but many of them are also currently on tour or are in the process of being promoted for tour tickets. Coming soon to North America is Filipino singer Beatrice Laus, otherwise known as Beabadoobee. Her sophomore album, Beatopia, was released during the summer of last year and was among the top album releases fans were looking forward to in 2022. Student Sabrina Betita and her friends were able to get tickets for the Seattle date which will be in Paramount Theatre. “I like Beabadoobee because her music is good, and her voice is nice to listen to. I think it’s nice that she’s getting more popular because she deserves awareness and her music needs more recognition,” Betita said. 

Another bedroom pop artist who has recently been on tour is Gracie Abrams. Her debut album, Good Riddance, dropped earlier this spring. Before that, she had released an EP (Extended Play), This Is What It Feels Like, and Single, minor, along with a few other individual songs. During her Good Riddance tour, she was also one of two opening acts for Taylor Swifts Eras Tour. I got into Gracie’s music around 2021. A lot of people were using the song 21 on tiktok so I started listening to her music. I’ve always really liked bedroom pop. When I went to see her live it was a cool experience. Getting to scream her songs with my friend was so much fun and the venue staff took really good care of everyone who was there. The openers were so cool as well, but I loved Gracie’s stage presence and you could tell she loved being there,” Weeks said.