Sleep Schedule Struggle

Naomi Fifita

A student catches up on sleep during lunch while trying to finish some homework.

Naomi Fifita, Staff Writer

Students are busy and many do not have time to get a full night’s rest. Kids consume their time with sports, homework and other extracurricular activities.

According to the National Sleep Foundation teens need about eight to ten hours of sleep each night to function best. Most teens do not get enough sleep, one study found that only 15% reported sleeping eight and a half hours on school nights.

Students are struggling to stay awake throughout the school day.

“Most of the time, I rely on caffeinated drinks but sometimes I’ll just stand up and walk around during class. And that usually energizes me,” Erin Rapp said.

Making time for the amount of sleep that humans need to function best is a struggle for many.

“I usually get five to six hours of sleep. I do not think I get enough rest. I usually go to bed late because I have to do homework,” Callum Fleming said.

The National Sleep Foundation website lists some of the consequences you can get from not getting enough sleep. It says not getting a full night of sleep can limit your ability to learn, listen, concentrate and solve problems. This is proved true throughout the student body. Students said they notice a difference between when they get enough sleep and when they don’t.

“When I don’t get enough sleep, I usually forget things that I have to bring to school. I am usually up working on homework until twelve, and then end up waking up at five to finish it. But when I do get enough sleep, in first period I am tired but throughout the day I’ll gain more energy,” Elizabeth Hood said.