Spreading Christmas Spirit

Alonso and Anderson dressed up in their costumes.

Kendyl Prentice, Staff Writer

Seniors Talley Anderson and Ellie Alonso walk around the halls spreading Christmas Spirit wearing Sankt Nikolaus and Knecht Ruprecht costumes. They visited the language classrooms and told students about German Christmas traditions.

In Germany, it is tradition for children to leave their shoes out on December 5. On the morning of December 6, children wake up to secret gifts such as candies, coins, or small toys left in their shoes by Sankt Nikolaus. The Naughty children receive sticks from Knecht Ruprecht.

Anderson and Alonso walked through the halls handing out candy canes and small sticks. The German club purchased multiple boxes of candy canes to hand out to students.

“We go around to all the language classes, and go in and talk about Sankt Knecht and what it means in German culture. Ellie decides who gets a stick and who has been a bad kid,” Anderson said.

Alonso said being bad is fun.

“Tons, I had to go outside, and break sticks apart to give to students, but it’s worth it. I give the sticks to the students who look away when I come. I know who should get a stick I just have a feeling. They are all good kids, I just like giving people a tough time,” she said.

Anderson got involved in dressing up as Sankt Nikolaus from his German heritage.

“My Great Aunt is German. She mostly only speaks German. She helps me practice my German for class, and is one of the reasons why I decided to take German,” Anderson said.

Spreading the Christmas spirit is something many German students and German club participants look forward to each year. The roles as Sankt Nikolaus and Knecht Ruprecht are volunteer positions that usually go to the seniors in the class and or club. “I have been looking forward to this for a while, and think it is fun to spread the Christmas spirit,” said Alonso.