Epic Speeches

Olivia+McKenzie+giving+her+Epic+Speech%2C+encouraging+people+to+help+the+environment+and+its+animals.+

Kimberly Freitas

Olivia McKenzie giving her Epic Speech, encouraging people to help the environment and its animals.

Kimberly Freitas, Staff Writer

As the end of the semester approaches, students in Mr. Benson’s AP English class begin giving their Epic Speeches on Friday, Jan. 19. Epic Speeches differ from the normal assignment, as students are able to choose their own topic and what to say, so long as they include 28 rhetorical terms and apply the rhetorical strategies they’ve learned throughout the semester.

These students work hard to make their speeches live up to the name. The ability to choose their own topic gives them the chance to talk about their passions, yet they still apply the strategies they’ve acquired.

“The TV show Friends is something I know a lot about, and writing a speech for something I’m passionate about was really easy,” Julia Murphy said.

While the rhetorical term count of 28 may seem excessive at first glance, it helps the students to better understand them, and where to use them. These are terms students may use throughout their entire lives.

Mr. Benson simultaneously allows his students’ creative minds to roam while teaching them how to use rhetoric to their advantage.

“To be able to talk about something you’re passionate about in class with just a few regulations was so fun. I love being able to put what I was learning into practice,” McKenzie Main said.

Just this Friday one student spoke on the ‘milk and cereal controversy’, insisting that it was more logical to put the milk in first, while another student spoke heavily on the greed of man.

“Even though each speech is written with similar rhetorical terms, each is drastically different,” McKenzie Main said.

There is such a wide range of topics to choose from, so as long as these AP students follow the minimal requirements, their imagination has no limits.