How to Prepare for AP Exams

Kirsty Fleming, Staff Writer

AP exams are coming up in May, and as a lot of students know, preparing for them can be very stressfull, especially if it’s your first time. Many students have their own way of preparing, and some have no way at all. This list is meant to give advice to students who are looking for help with how to get ready for their exams.

1. Talk to your teachers:

The very first thing to do is to ask your teacher what they are going to do to help their students get ready for the exam. Almost all AP teachers have something planned to help their students prepare for the AP exam for that class. Whether it’s just a page of review notes, a day to ask questions and get help, or a whole mock exam, your teacher wants to help you succeed and make you feel ready for the exam. Also, teachers have experience as they’ve been preparing their students for the same exam for many years, and have a good feel for how their students usually do on the test.

1. Go over the class content:

One of the easiest ways to study for the exam is to look over the content of the class and pick out what you don’t know or what you need to review. This can give you a better idea of what you need to work on and then you can either look through old notes and tests or ask your teacher to explain it to you. Knowing your weak points helps you get a better overall understanding of the class, instead of only being good at a couple units, which helps with the exam.

1. Buy an official prep book

There is an exam prep book available to buy online or in-person for every single AP class offered at school. Two of the most popular brands that produce these books are Barron’s and The Princeton Review. The books usually include an overview of the class content, tips for exam day, how the exam is formatted, how many questions and how long it is, and at least one practice exam for students to take on their own time. These books can be found in-person in Barnes and Noble, or online on Amazon.