SZA’s SOS Album

Amelia Weeks, Staff Writer

SZA released her sophomore album SOS on Friday, December 9, at 9p.m. PST. This is SZA’s first new album since 2017, and it features unreleased songs that fans had wanted on their music streaming apps for a while, such as, “Used” featuring Don Toliver, as well as completely new songs like “F2F” and “Snooze.”

SZA, who has already released music videos for “Shirt” and “Nobody Gets Me”, confirmed for the fans that another music video for the fan favorite “Kill Bill” is coming up next. Her comeback is accompanied by many promotions circulating for this album, including a tour that she announced on December 13, which officially kicks off in February 2023.

The album includes many featured artists such as Phoebe Bridgers, Travis Scott, Don Toliver, and more. “For a lot of these people, I didn’t turn in my verse, so I can’t be too mad,” SZA commented on how the album has less features than she had planned during an interview with Vibe. “But also, in the same token, it’s like, ‘Damn this sucks, I really needed you. I wish you showed up for me.’ But I’m sure they felt the same way for me.”

Travis Scott, who was also featured on her debut album CTRL had another feature on SOS. “I really appreciate that he’s just a consistent friend in my life and really believes in me as an artist. I’m grateful Phoebe showed up for me, I didn’t think she would come to the studio in person. She did, which is crazy. We laughed, it’s just hilarious,” SZA said.

SOS was an R&B album with all sorts of vibes. “It’s about heartbreak, it’s about revenge, it’s about being pissed,” she said during her interview with Glamour. “I’ve never raged the way that I should have. This is my villain era, and I’m very comfortable with that. It is in the way I say no, it’s in the way I’m deciding what I’m taking, what I’m not taking.”

The public has received this new release with plenty of positivity. “She released a new vibe and entered a new era into her music genre. Fans have been waiting for a while, but it was completely worth the wait! I loved it,” Sabrina Betita said.