Giving Blood for a Cause

Photo+by+Faith+Krieger+

Photo by Faith Krieger

Faith Krieger, Staff Writer

Whether it’s your first time or your last, giving blood is always a little nerve racking. After weeks of announcements, paperwork, and mental preparation; the day had arrived. “I was a little bit nervous because it was my first time, but I really wanted to donate so I did it,” junior Camden Carter said.

This year upwards of 130 students and teachers volunteered to give blood to the Puget Sound Blood Center. Students at least 16 years old, weigh 114 pounds and in good health were welcome to donate. Approximately one pint is taken per person. Most adults have about 10-12 pints in their body. Before donating blood you must eat a good meal, get your finger pricked for your vitals, and then wait for your turn to donate. For most students, this was their first time donating blood, causing some anxiety.

“I actually have a fear of needles and giving blood, so I’m doing this hoping to get over my fear” junior Kelsey Ramsey said.

Photo by Faith Krieger
Photo by Faith Krieger

Depending on how much water you drank before the draw, some people’s blood came out very slow and some came out quick and only took a few minutes. Due to the large amount of donators, some people waited in the gym for almost an hour just to spend a small amount of time giving blood. The main reason to give blood is that many patients need blood now. The more major reasons are to donate to patients with, trauma injuries and burns, cancer, blood and immune system diseases, heart and blood vessel disease, organ and bone marrow transplantation. Nearly 900 people must donate blood through Puget Sound Blood Center every day to meet these needs. After the day was done almost every student and teacher that I spoke with recommend giving blood and said they would defiantly do it again next year.