Welcome Home Carter

Photos+Donated

Photos Donated

Callie Mueller, Staff Writer

There are many new faces are in the halls and one of them belongs to Mr. Carter, our new assistant principal.

Carter came to GP from Riverside High School in North Spokane. He received many offers from other districts and he chose to become a Grizzly because he had a “gut feeling”  about the place. “I appreciate that we are close enough to Seattle that I can drive down and enjoy the city.”

He enjoys the feeling of a rural space in a suburban area at the same time. The diversity of our school was also a key factor compared to some of the other schools he had applied to.  “This school has truly lived up to its expectations,” Carter said.

Carter is a competitive downhill mountain bike racer. He has participated in the 24 hour “Round the Clock” race in Riverside State Park in Spokane where the competitors are in teams racing to complete the most laps in 24 hours. He’s participated in the All Gravity Series, a Super D race run by Josh Tofsrud, another mountain bike enthusiast.  Carter won second place at the Schweitzer Super D in the “old guys class.” Carter continues to ride  at local hot spots around the state.

Carter has taught English and history in middle and high school. He has coached football, basketball, and track. And his ‘dirty secret,’ Carter went to law school and became a lawyer although he found the life wasn’t for him. He is much happier teaching and working with students. He favorite saying is “The final measure of your life will not be how well you lived, but how well others lived because of you.”

He resides in our community and has two children, Ben, 9 and Layne, 21. His son, is a 4th grader at Little Cedars Elementary and Layne is a student at Western Washington University.