Switching Schools

Elizabeth Hood

Svet Golik in front of the school.

Elizabeth Hood, Staff Writer

Last year, freshman Svet Golik, decided to go ahead and register for Glacier Peak. However, she hadn’t chosen to go with the flow and continue her education at her feeder high school. Unlike the majority of the students at Gateway Middle School, she believes her choice has already impacted her life for the better.

“I was supposed to go to Jackson High School, but I chose to go here,” Golik said.

Through her eyes, the transition between her original middle and the new high school would not be challenging enough. She thinks that choosing Glacier Peak over her other high school was one of the best decisions she’s made so far.

“I wanted to meet new people since I already had a lot of friends at Gateway. Some I have known for more than five years, however some people changed over the years. Some for the better, and others for the worse. I needed to escape from that world,” Golik said.

Not only does she feel that the student body exceeds the usual amount of warm hearts and daily kindhearted motives, but sees the difference in academics as well.

“Other high schools mostly focus on their athletic activities. At GP, it seems balanced between the extra- curricular activities and school work,” Golik said.

She says she also knows some kids from her old school.

“Some kids I know that had attended Gateway with had varianced here as well, and they told me that Glacier Peak was great. But like I said earlier, people change throughout the years,” Golik said.

Despite their dismay, Golik convinced herself and parents to variance her over to GP.

“Some people at other schools are way too edgy and it was hard to make new friends, even at Gateway. However, I’ve seen that people at GP are much more outgoing, and I just feel that I can make friends better here,” Golik said.

People know that a school’s atmosphere is good when they hear a student say they feel like they fit in well, and people understand that they mean it. Golik feels that now, this is something that she will feel all the way through high school.