Tis The Food Drive Season!

All canned donations are gladly appreciated! Credit: sedonafoodbank.org

Honorine Uwase, Staff Writer

It is that time of year again! The annual food drive gives the food donated to the Maltby food bank, helping families in need to put food on the table during the holidays. Through students’ engagement, families all over the community can have the support they need.

As the end of the food drive approaches, we have gotten closer and closer to our goal. To encourage students to donate to the food drive, the ASB committee put a lot of effort into advertising.  President of the Food Drive committee, Nathan Morello, says, “Currently we have $2,000 in donation and about 500 items. We did advertisements with posters, on Canvas, and we sent emails. The goal for the food drive is to raise money for the Maltby food bank. The food drive started the same year the school did, and it was to help families in need.”  

The food drive reaches families all over the community and makes the holidays easier for the families. Paxton Bigby highlighted Benson’s class as the one that contributes the most to the cause. “The class that donated the most was Benson, not that it is a competition, but they tend to do that every year. The food drive started to help those in our community. Right now, we are trying to advocate for more donations, whether it be monetary or canned food. And we try and reach more people through Canvas,” Bigby said.  

The committee is trying to let everyone know about the food drive in all types of ways. “We advertised on the morning announcements, and I believe there is going to be an Instagram post about it in the next couple of days. We started the food drive to support those in our community who don’t have the support they need, especially during the holidays where it is the hardest,” stated Kendall West.