2023 Oscar Predictions

Elizabeth Shapley, Staff Writer

The Oscars 95th Academy Awards has 24 categories this year, and with so many actors and films up for nomination, they are accompanied by some very interesting predictions. “I definitely want Top Gun: Maverick to win best picture, and I’m really hoping Steven Spielberg wins best director. I usually just watch the Oscars at my house with my dad, cause we like to bond over movies,” Landon Thompson said. “For best actress in a leading role I want Cate Blanchett to win, because her performance in Tár was really good and it was a really good movie. Then for best animated film Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio to win, because that film also made me cry cause it was really sad. But yeah, I just feel there was so many movies this year that really had the emotional punch and those are the movies that I’d like to win,” Thompson continued.

From sitting down with a bowl of popcorn to readying your M&Ms, everyone has a different way they watch. “I’m rooting for Top Gun: Maverick, it’s amazing and such a good film and so fun and it just made me feel really good watching it. For the past couple years I have had a list of all of the nominees and then me and my parents will pick who we think is gonna win, we’ll put a little M&M next to that and if they do win we get to eat the M&M,” William Lemcio said. “I also really loved Avatar and Puss in Boots, I cannot talk enough about how amazing Puss in Boots was, it was so good!” Lemcio continued.

Avatar is a popular choice in this year’s nominees for best picture. “I want Avatar: The Way of Water to win, I think that it’s a really beautiful movie and I really like the message, and the acting was really good too,” Ellie Paul said. “Then for best animated feature film I think that Turning Red should win, because I think it’s a really good movie, I think that the generational trauma is something that they really did a good job covering,” Paul added.

Watching the Oscars is a fun way many people are gonna spend their upcoming Sunday night, hoping that their predictions will be correct. “Well for best picture there’s a lot of movies that could be a best picture winner, I think probably the obvious one is Top Gun: Maverick winning best picture,” Hayden Austneburg said. “For best actress I think it’s going to be someone like Michele Yeoh. I highly doubt Turning Red is gonna win best animated feature, it’s either gonna be Puss in Boots or Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio, fantastic movie. Best original song, I honestly think it’s gonna be something like ‘Hold my Hand’ or ‘Lift Me Up’, they’re very good songs. Best original score, either All Quiet On the Western Front or Everything Everywhere All At Once,” Austneburg continued.

Tune in to the Oscars along with your fellow students very soon to find out if your predictions were correct!