Getting to Know the Team

Elizabeth Shapley, Staff Writer

This season girls wrestling has a bunch of new members, as well as some returners. A few members of the team have been interviewed to share some fun facts. “I want to place at state, I’m not sure what place I want but… I want to make it to state again,” Lilly Germer said.  “I liked going to state last year, we traveled with the team, and I got to watch my best friends win first place.”

There are a variety of reasons students have decided to start wrestling. “My dad kinda pushed me to join, and a lot of my friends do it, and I’ve made good friends so I’ve kinda just stuck with it,” Senior Parker Lastala said.

The team is already starting to connect and get to know each other. “Our team this year, my teammates are way younger which makes it a little more difficult. But it’s a bigger team so we have a lot of good opportunities,” Germer said, with Blair Jarman adding, “There’s just like, a lot of bonding, you know?”

Jarman, who is a new member of the team, says the most exciting parts of wrestling are the matches. “I like the challenge of it, and the anticipation leading up to it,” Jarman said. Another new member, Natalie Wheeler, is excited for matches to come. “Honestly just getting the experience, just going out and trying and competing against others,” Wheeler said. 

Bobbi Jack’s favorite part is, “The people I meet and the connections I have with them,” Jack said. 

Karianne Baldwin shares her best accomplishment and what she is looking forward to. “My sophomore year I won state at 125, and I’m looking forward to going to Othello and going to state again this year,” Baldwin said. Her goal this year is to go to state and be a ‘two-time state champ’.