First Semester Recap

Izzie Westlund, Lifestyles Editor

The first semester is finally coming to an end, and a lot of events took place in the duration of it.

The first day of school, on Sept 8 (or Sept 7 if you’re a freshman), marked the first day of the semester. That same day, we had our first day of school assembly featuring our fall sports teams; football, girls soccer, boys tennis, girls volleyball, cross country, and girls swim. Unfortunately, neither football, soccer, volleyball, or tennis had any runs for state. On the other hand, we had two boys and two girls from cross country that went to state, and our girls swim team won districts and went to state, placing in the top 50 percent. Girls soccer also won first in 4A WESCO. During the fall, the homecoming assembly also took place. The seniors on the homecoming court danced around to each grade, showing off their moves and having a blast.

At the end of November, winter sports started; girls basketball, boys basketball, boys swim, boys wrestling, and girls wrestling. They all also gave a performance during our winter pep assembly dazzling the crowd.

“The girl’s wrestling performance was my favorite because it was funny,” Jackson Haugh said.

Recently, we had the MLK assembly, where the life of MLK was honored and students shared their personal experiences. Both the band and choir had performances during the assembly.

“It was really inspiring seeing my sister share her personal story and her having the courage to talk in front of a lot of people,” Eden Nichols said.

To end off the semester with a bang, students prepare for finals week.

“Compared to last year I haven’t been as stressed which is surprising because I’m taking supposedly harder classes. I have had a unit final or test in all of my classes, but I’ve felt very prepared for all of them because my teachers are so great. Especially having Casagrande as my Spanish 3 teacher has helped me so much because last year, I had trouble connecting with my previous teacher and getting the help I needed to succeed and learning Spanish in a positive environment,” Jackie Shaner said.