Kiss n’ Show

Nicole Hen and Alex Kodama pose for a photo.

Shea O'Donnell, Staff Writer

There has always been controversy on PDA (Public Displays of Affection), and most see it on a daily basis. Moving from middle school to high school can be a culture shock, an awkward and uncomfortable one, but instead of it being people you don’t know kissing, it’s your peers. Many freshman, as they have moved from middle school (where kissing your boyfriend in the halls is an anomaly), to highschool (where couples can do much more than just hold hands in the halls), have various opinions on the topic of PDA.

Many students said that the first time they saw PDA they were surprised.  “The first time I saw [PDA] I freaked out,” an anonymous freshman said. “But, they were also doing a little more than your average PDA,” she said.

Although some are shocked when first encountering PDA, others have a different opinion on this topic. Freshman Natalia D’Aigle said she doesn’t “…think it’s that big of a deal, as long as it’s not super intense and you’re not blocking the hallway, keeping others from getting to class. Do it in your own space out of the way,” she said.

Others view it as “disrespectful” when couples make it very obvious as to what they are doing.  “Most people are really good about it, but there are some couples who need to keep it to themselves. But it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be,” Freshman Maia Bjorback said.

“I don’t really care; I just ignore it,” Freshmen Blake Fenton and Lucas Jabelona agreed.

Now that social media and the internet has become more prominent in the life of a high school student, Online PDA (gooey, loving posts about your significant other, picture or comment) has become an increasingly popular way to show your affection towards someone. When freshmen were asked about which type of PDA they feel more comfortable observing: online or in person, the overwhelming response was online PDA. Many said it was because you aren’t being forced to look, you can just keep scrolling if you don’t like it.

Overall, there are various levels of awkwardness, opinions and ways you show your love for someone. Go ahead and show public displays of affection, but don’t go overboard or make others around you uncomfortable.