Parking Lot Problems

Staff Members Stop Students From Parking

A staff members car parked in the lot.

A staff members car parked in the lot.

Dawson Hensel, Staff Writer

With over 1,750 students, 470 seniors, and 442 juniors eligible to park in our parking lot, we have a lot of parking spots to fill. However, that a does not stop teachers from parking in the student designated lot section with impunity.

Students are required to first apply for parking passes and pay the necessary $45 fee if they qualify to obtain one. If you are a junior, you are entered into a raffle and you may or may not obtain a pass. Currently, there are around 72 juniors who are unable to obtain a parking pass. Underclassmen don’t get a chance to purchase a pass at all despite many sophomores having their driver’s license.

If you are a student, you can park in one of four cramped sections that cause massive traffic standstills daily. These parking lots are also very hard to move around in. The teachers, however, are given a pass every year free of charge and have parking spots located closest to the building with wide open spaces.

“Both students and teachers shouldn’t have to be assigned to any areas and should park wherever they choose,” Benjamin Lamb said.

Students can and will be fined for parking in any spot in the teacher sections. The first fine is $10, the second is $20, and the third is $30. After that, your parking pass that you paid for, is revoked.

Teachers get to school earlier than the students yet their spots are located closer to the building and spots are larger in size.

If the staff member pictured above with parking pass number 432 was held accountable for the numerous occasions that she parked in student parking, she would owe hundreds of dollars in fines.