Fostering Guinea Pigs in Animal Biology

Meryem Yalcin, Staff Writer

Chex, Cringle, and Pretzel, three adorable guinea pigs, have been the latest addition to Ms. Ashmon’s animal biology class. The furry trio has been fostering in the class for about a week, but these guinea pigs are not just cute and cuddly pets; they are also an important part of the class curriculum. 

Ms. Ashmon, the animal biology teacher, explains that fostering guinea pigs in the classroom is an important part of the animal science course. “The reason we foster guinea pigs in our classroom is that we are an animal science course, and it is important to partner with our local animal shelters for students to learn how to handle and care for different animal species.”

the students have certainly been learning a lot from their new furry friends. One student says, “I think it is a good idea to have guinea pigs in our class because it helps encourage students to work harder in order to interact with the guinea pigs.” She also adds up, “It also helps us learn better when we are able to see them in real life. It also helps students not feel as stressed while holding a guinea pig and it is very fun. But it is not just about having fun with the animals. The students are also learning about the different types of food guinea pigs can eat, how to recognize signs of illness, and how to handle them safely.”

The guinea pigs have been a source of joy and relaxation for the students, who have been spending time with them during both class time and their free time. However, their stay in the classroom is not permanent, as all three of them have found new homes and will be leaving over the spring break. Ms. Ashmon’s animal biology class hopes to foster more animals in the future.