Traditional Chinese Game – Mahjong

Sabrina Wang, Staff Writer

Last Friday, April 28th, after school in Room 208, the NCHS National Chinese Honor Society held its scheduled meeting. The activity for this meeting was to learn how to play Mahjong, and everyone was welcome to attend.

They all gathered to learn this traditional Chinese game. Mahjong originated in China and spread to Japan during the Qing Dynasty, in which it is now widely welcomed in various countries. Ellie Kwak, who came specifically to learn, said, “I thought it was a ton of fun! I’ve always been curious about mahjong, especially after the scene in Crazy Rich Asians. I think the learning process isn’t too hard. It’s a very strategic game.” Kwak said that Mahjong is very similar to a Korean game she knew before, called ‘Go’, which is a card game with simpler rules than Mahjong but also requires enough strategy to win.

Aside from Ellie Kwak, other students were also interested in this activity. They gathered together to learn the rules and techniques of Mahjong, and some even formed groups to practice and learn from each other. During this activity, the students not only learned how to play Mahjong but also gained a deeper understanding of a both important and fun part of traditional Chinese culture. They learned about the history and cultural background of Mahjong and how to respect their opponents while still having a competitive spirit and playing the game strategically.

The whole activity had a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere, filled with friendship and cooperation. They exchanged ideas, shared their experiences, and made new friends. They not only learned new knowledge but also gained new friendships and many got to experience a game they had never played before only to find themselves greatly enjoying it.