How To Start The Semester Off Strong

Enid Gonzalez, Staff Writer

Picture this, it’s the end of May and you’re struggling to get your grade up in that one class you’ve always had a hard time understanding, or even that one class you thought was going to be a piece of cake. While many people take it easy in the beginning of the semester, and struggle at the end, the people who put effort into their work since the beginning of the semester, are usually the ones that have less stress at the end of the year. Here are a couple of tips to start off the semester right. 

1. Many people don’t think this is going to help them, but maintaining a positive attitude can motivate you to try your best. This will also help your relationship with your teacher. Your teacher will most likely notice your positive attitude and be beyond happy to help you when you need it. Here’s a link on different ways to maintain a positive attitude: link here
  2. Procrastinating is something many of us do, however, this can hurt your grade a lot in the long run. Homework is very important, however, many people procrastinate and say “I’ll just do it tomorrow” and when the day comes, they say “I’ll do it tomorrow, it’s only worth a few points anyways” and it’s just an ongoing cycle and before you know it, you have 10 missing assignments in the grade book. I would recommend to do your homework as soon as you get home and put your phone on “do not disturb”. It’s crazy how much work you can accomplish when you’re not distracted on your phone. 
  3. This may be obvious but studying for your tests helps you immensely. You can go to a cafe and study with your friends or you can make flashcards and study on your own. Whatever works best for you. Here’s a link of differ ways to study for a test: https://www.topuniversities.com/student-info/health-and-support/exam-preparation-ten-study-tips Link here
  4. If your teacher ever offers extra credit, make sure to take it, especially if they rarely offer it. You never know when those extra points are going to bump your grade up from an A- to an A.