Evacuation and Explanation

One of Swopes charges, taken from Snohomish county jail registry.

Ricci, Abigail

Abi Ricci, Staff Writer

On Nov. 9, 2019 the school was evacuated because of a bomb threat sent through email to one of our staff. The email was not very specific, but still warranted an evacuation because safety of students and staff is the highest priority. The email began with three bomb emojis and was followed by places the sender allegedly placed the bombs. Specifically mentioned were the bus loop, throughout the building and roof. According to the email, the bombs were set to go off in the early morning before class and during B lunch. The sender then signed the email, “Miya 9th grade.”

The identity of the sender was unknown to students until yesterday, Feb 5. Ninth grade Miya is allegedly 22-year-old Sira Swope, who graduated from Glacier Peak in 2016. A former classmate said, “he was a quiet and shy kid in high school.”

Swope was arrested during a traffic stop on Feb. 4. He was then taken to Snohomish county jail and charged with possession of depictions of minors engaged in sexually explicit conduct, viewing depictions of minors engaged in sexually explicit conduct, cyberstalking, and threats to bomb a property.  Bail was set at $1 million.

With Swopes arrest and child pornography charges, Major Crimes Detectives additionally found 26 email chains over a six-month period about possible babysitting opportunities on Care.com. Swope also told detectives there was more evidence.