Student Life During Quarantine

Students Jessica Delker and Amanda Riedlinger hiking on Mt. Si

Amanda Riedlinger, Staff Writer

With the recent outbreak of COVID-19, and the subsequent cancelation of school, sports and many other activities, students are left with way more time on their hands than usual. Some people are being more productive than others, but one thing everyone can agree on is that every day life has been looking a little different lately.

Many students are still able to work during these times, such as junior Cody Christman, who has been working at McDonalds and senior Jaden Jones, who has been working at Safeway. Though many workers are seeing their hours being cut, it is still an upgrade from being laid off entirely.

The income students are getting is crucial right now to support impulse buys that quarantine has given us the time to pursue. There has been a notable increase in eating out and online shopping among many students. On the other hand, the stay at home order has led to students saving on gas money, since they aren’t driving as much.
Other students have committed to working out while they don’t have the excuse that there still isn’t enough time to do so. Senior Emma Diaconu has been running every day and senior Aidan Hammersmark, along with many other students, has been hiking often. This gives them some fresh air, exercise, and enjoyment.

Even though school isn’t being held in person, weekly engagement is still required, and this schoolwork is taking up a bit of students’ time during this stay at home order. Some classes, such as AP Comparative Government, are still having final projects.

Students are able to bring out their artistic sides lately, pursuing different hobbies such as painting and drawing. Many girls are also experimenting with their hair, cutting and dying it fun colors.

Another common hobby that has taken up students’ time during quarantine is gaming. Seniors Jacob Reid and Max Downs have been spending some of their time playing video games this quarantine.
The ability to hang out with friends has been limited lately, but people are still gathering in small groups.

To celebrate birthdays, students have been driving separately past the birthday boy or girl’s house, wishing a happy birthday in one of the only ways they can while still practicing social distancing. Hosting Zoom calls and “social distance hangouts” are also popular, where friends wear masks and stay six feet apart in streets, lawns, or parking lots. Things are strange right now, but we are still finding ways to connect with our friends and family despite the chaos. The events and traditions of 2020 will definitely go down in history.