Schools Have Had Enough

The flyer for the walkout on April 20.

Isaac Ellison, Staff Writer

On Feb. 14, there was a shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. The devastating attack took 17 lives and has injured an additional 14 people at the school. As a  result, students have planned nation-wide walk-outs in protest of gun laws and student safety.

On March 14, the Women’s March Youth Empower Group is planning a walkout to protest the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting. The walkout starts at 10:00 A.M. in every time zone and the is 17 minutes long for the 17 lives lost at the school shooting.

There is also a protest being held on March 24. Over 50 cities have a march scheduled, and thousands are planning to show up. The planners are students at Stoneman Douglas, and have raised millions to support the March for Our Lives.

April 20, marks the 19th Anniversary of the Columbine shooting in 1999. There are plans for a walkout being held on Twitter and on the Change.org page. As of now, the plans are that students will walkout at 10:00 A.M. To support the walkout, on the scheduled day you are advised to wear orange and protest online and within your community.

These walkouts raise awareness and to protest  in order to make a change for the greater good.

“I personally plan on participating in both of the scheduled walkouts and hope others do the same,” Tyler Weber said.

These planned walkout days are held in protest of the governments lack in acting against these tragedies and not working towards full potential to prevent these events from happening again. The goal is to get the government to act and update their gun laws to make it harder for people to get weapons like assault rifles and raising the age requirement to own weapons to 21 instead of the current standard of 18.

Due to gun violence, 33,000 people are killed, 75,962 people are injured, and 17,446 children and teens are shot each year. Every day 90 people are killed due to gun violence in America alone.