Why Tom Holland is the Best Spiderman

Taylor Bopko, Staff Writer

[POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD]

The movies Avengers: Infinity War and Spider-Man: Homecoming, two of Marvel’s most recent movies which both star Tom Holland, has raised the debate of which Spider-Man was better: Tom Holland, Tobey Maguire or Andrew Garfield. Let’s look at the facts.

Spider-Man’s official character biography from Marvel is “bitten by a radioactive spider, high school student Peter Parker gained the speed, strength and powers of a spider. Adopting the name Spider-Man, Peter hoped to start a career using his new abilities. Taught that with great power comes great responsibility, Spidey has vowed to use his powers to help people”. Tom Holland portrays this flawlessly, with his teenage life dedicated to saving the small people, the local people. Andrew Garfield had a relationship and couldn’t realistically handle this responsibility while making out with Emma Stone. And Tobey Maguire is an entirely different story…

But let’s look at what the critics and audience thought about the movies.

Spider-Man (2002): 7.3/10 on IMDB, 89% on Rotten Tomatoes with an audience score of 67%.

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012): 7/10 on IMDB, 73% on Rotten Tomatoes with an audience score of 77%.

And finally,

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017): 7.5/10 on IMDB, 92% on Rotten Tomatoes with an audience score of 88%. 

Even the critics and the audience agree, Tom Holland is the better actor and Spider-Man, and portrays the character of Peter Parker better. He has the innocence of an actual teenager in high school, and unlike other the Spider-Man’s, don’t have a romantic love interest. Because when you’re trying to save your community – and potentially join the Avengers to impress Mr. Stark – you don’t have time for a relationship. Spider-Man: Homecoming is the most realistic of the movies, as well as having the best cinematography and acting.

Since The Amazing Spider-Man series came out, the franchise has slowly been dying out. Tom Holland has revived this, and has already been confirmed for a second movie. And even though his tragic ending in Infinity Wars occurred, fans are still excited to see him in action as Spider-Man again.