Addie Reed

Addie+Reed

Olivia Manegold, Staff Writer

“For being asked so often ‘what made you join wrestling?’ I’m not sure there’s an answer. As a freshman who’s never been very athletic, wrestling pushed me farther than I’ve physically been pushed before. I knew it was a tough sport and wanted the name without the hard work, but I knew that wasn’t possible, so I tried my best to suck it up and push through (sprints especially). Though you’re on the mat with another person, wrestling is mentally a solo sport. It’s your job to put in your 100% for an exhausting six minutes. It isn’t only your 100% by itself like some conditioning we do, it’s against another person. Fighting to be tougher, faster, and for that inside head position. Your singlet, headgear, knee pads, or just “gear” is another big factor in wrestling. Feeling vulnerable in thin fabric stretched across your torso and barely covering your thighs would make any high school girl insecure. However, as a wrestler, there isn’t room for insecurities. There isn’t a place on your body that isn’t grabbed, scraped, or crushed under the weight of your opponent, so you have to get used to it. Every upperclassman on the team has been my biggest supporter and kept me going through this season.”