First Of The Season

Ski Season kicks off in the Pacific Northwest

Alex Ropka

Alex Ropka during one of his first runs of the season.

Alex Ropka, Staff Writer

Fall is a special time of year in the Pacific Northwest. The leaves change from the luscious green to the fluorescent orange and yellows, the air becomes cool and crisp. The overcast skies and rain almost feel normal now. With the cooler weather, rain down in the valleys means snow up high. And we are no stranger to receiving copious amounts of snow at higher elevations in the early season. Those who are hungry enough will take advantage of this early season snow and hit the slopes as soon as they open, but it’s always a gamble on who will open first.

Weather patterns this time of year can be fickle in the Northwest, so it’s important to always look at the weather forecast. Your best bet in the early season is to aim for higher elevations. Avoid lower elevation resorts such as Snoqualmie or Alpental. On most years, Mt. Baker, Stevens Pass, and Crystal Mountain are typically the first to open because of their high elevation base levels, and their unique location in the cascades, in which they receive large amounts of snow.

As the season approaches there is much anticipation for many students here at Glacier Peak. “I always get excited when the snow starts falling. It just means that soon I’ll be able to connect with all the good people I see in the winter time. We’re always up there hiking, and hitting rails, and just out having a good time,” Senior Brandon Salvador said.

So as the snow keeps falling and the seasons keep changing, the buzz for ski season will definitely be on the rise in the coming weeks.