The Edge

Girls Are Fast

The girls softball team.

The girls softball team.

Asher Gannon

Asher Gannon

The girls softball team.

Sydney Hill, Staff Writer

Softball season is here! The beginning is very cold and even sometimes rainy but that doesn’t stop the girls from playing. Mrs. Celix is the girls’ varsity coach for softball.

“I started playing when I was five and fell in love with the sport, but I won’t say how many years that has been, that would give away my age,” Celix said.

Celix prepares her girls for games by practicing every day. Their mission is to be “Better than yesterday”. On game days, they have a pregame routine to help them get into a game mindset and get ready to play.

“We do conditioning at the start and end of practice. I like the first set of conditioning, it is always a group drill that is fun but keeps them moving, like blob tag or capture the flag,” Celix said.

Coach Celix is also a very competitive person and coach, when they win a game they celebrate but they also look for ways to improve. To never be complacent in the moment and strive to be better every day. When they lose, the team spends a lot of time trying to figure out what happened and try how to improve for the next time.

“Every loss is a true learning experience,” Celix said.

Celix has said that she has taken some of her coaches coaching skills because they were so good, and they still even work for her.

“What I love the most about softball is that it provides my girls with opportunities to learn lifelong skills; team work, communication, self-improvement, commitment, and how to push through when things get hard. Softball is both and individual and team sport, players are improving personally to make the whole stronger, players learn to rely and trust one another in order to make the whole team be successful,” Celix said.