College Football Playoff Rundown- November 15 rankings

After Principal Applegate’s TCU beat Texas, I had to wear a TCU jersey to school.

Trevor Butler, Sports Editor

Week 3 of the College Football Playoff rankings has been released, with the reigning champion Georgia Bulldogs again occupying the top spot. The Big 10 holds spots 2 and 3, with Ohio State and Michigan slotting in respectively. TCU holds the 4th and final spot in the playoff. The full rankings are as follows:

1. Georgia
  2. Ohio State
  3. Michigan
  4. TCU
  5. Tennessee
  6. LSU
  7. USC
  8. Alabama
  9. Clemson
  10. Utah
  11. Penn State
  12. Oregon
  13. North Carolina
  14. Ole Miss
  15. Kansas State
  16. UCLA
  17. Washington
  18. Notre Dame
  19. Florida State
  20. UCF
  21. Tulane
  22. Oklahoma State
  23. Oregon State
  24. NC State
  25. Cincinnati

Many of GP’s biggest college football fans had things to say about the top 25, as it’s hard to make the right decision on the top four with so many teams in the hunt. “I think that USC belongs at 6 and that Clemson belongs above Alabama. I also think that Washington needs more love than being at #17. Also, I really hope they don’t put a two loss LSU in the playoff but it seems like it’s shaping up to get at least two SEC teams in sadly,” Angus Van Valey said. With Georgia being undefeated, Tennessee and Alabama sitting on one loss, and LSU at two with the possibility of being the SEC champ, it seems like a real chance for the SEC to sweep the top four.

“I like the rankings this week. I think that the Huskies are ranked in the right spot, especially with their loss to Arizona State which is horrible. One of Michigan and Ohio State will have to lose The Game so I think Tennessee should be back in once they do, especially with their loss being to the #1 team in the country. And it’s great to see TCU being this good, I’m rooting for them,” Nate Staudinger said.

Principal Appelgate is thrilled with her alma matter TCU doing so well this season. “It’s been great to see them competing so well in the Big 12. We’ve been in a lot of conferences but seeing them do so well makes me so happy. I’m so proud to be a Frog, and it’s always fun to beat Texas,” Appelgate said.

Last week saw major matchups across the country, from an early morning showdown in Fayetteville, Arkansas between the red-hot LSU Tigers and the Arkansas Razorbacks, to a late-night defensive slugfest in Austin between TCU and Texas. Both of those games join three other candidates for my game of the week.

#7 LSU 13, Arkansas 10

After upsetting Alabama recently, the Tigers were one of the hottest teams in the country. They controlled their own destiny in the SEC west as they looked to become the first two loss team to make the playoff. If they could keep winning, they would be in prime position to do so. LSU freshman Harold Perkins posted a veteran performance for the Tigers, totaling four total sacks. His defensive play coupled with a slow offense for Sam Pittman’s Razorbacks helped guide LSU to an 8-2 record, as Arkansas fell to 5-5 on the year.

#22 UCF 38, #17 Tulane 31

The Group of Five’s big game took place in New Orleans, where #22 UCF knocked off #17 Tulane in a matchup that would put the winner in the driver’s seat of the American Athletic conference. The Knights started fast, building a 24-14 lead going into halftime and never looking back. UCF QB and former Ole Miss standout John Rhys Plumlee threw the ball for only 132 total yards, but it was his work on the ground that pushed the Knights to a win over the Green Wave. Plumlee totaled a whopping 176 yards and two touchdowns on the ground as both team’s records moved to 8-2.

#25 Washington 37, #6 Oregon 34

The Huskies traveled to Eugene looking to play spoiler to the Ducks playoff dreams. The first half started slow, with Huskies kicker Peyton Henry converting two first half field goals en route to a 13-10 halftime lead. Oregon turned things around in the second half, rallying to a 34-27 lead with only a few minutes to go in the fourth. Luckily for Washington, NCAA passing leader and Indiana transfer Michael Penix Jr wasn’t ready to go quietly, as he slung a 62-yard TD to knot things up at 34. Oregon QB Bo Nix would go down with an injury, and after Henry converted the eventual game-winning kick, Ty Thompson was sent in to try and save the Ducks. He could not, and down went the Ducks.

Arizona 34, #12 UCLA 28

Though UCLA had already lost to Oregon, they sat at 8-1 on the before hosting the struggling Arizona Wildcats. Arizona came into the matchup at the Rose Bowl with a 3-6 record, needing to win to keep their postseason hopes alive. The Wildcats blazed to a 14-0 lead after the first quarter, but UCLA came storming back to cut Arizona’s lead in half, as the Bruins went into halftime only trailing 21-14. A UCLA touchdown tied it, and yet another after a Wildcat field goal gave the Bruins a 28-24 lead. That was until Arizona scored 10 unanswered points to pull off a shocker at the Rose Bowl. UCLA’s loss coupled with Washington’s upset of Oregon all but knocked the PAC-12 out of playoff contention.

#4 TCU 17, #18 Texas 10

For the first time since 2014, the Horned Frogs were in the thick of the playoff hunt. They were undefeated so far, but a looming date with freshman QB Quinn Ewers and the Texas Longhorns meant fans and players alike felt uneasy. ESPN’s College Gameday was present in Austin for what was expected to be an offensive shootout. DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium was rocking under the lights, yet the fans were treated to a defensive battle, with TCU leading 3-0 at half. A long touchdown from TCU RB Kendre Miller gave the Frogs a 10-0 advantage in the third, but Ewers and the Horns rallied back with a field goal. Momentum seemed to turn when Texas got a stop, but a roughing the punter call gave TCU the ball back, and they took advantage of it. A touchdown gave the Frogs a lead they wouldn’t give up, and even a late score from Texas couldn’t stop TCU from moving to 10-0 on the season.

With that in mind, here’s what I think this week’s top 25 should look like:

1. Georgia
  2. TCU (+2)
  3. Michigan
  4. Ohio State (-2)
  5. Tennessee
  6. LSU
  7. Clemson (+2)
  8. Alabama
  9. USC (-2)
  10. Utah
  11. North Carolina (+2)
  12. Penn State (-1)
  13. Oregon (-1)
  14. Kansas State (+1)
  15. Ole Miss (-1)
  16. Washington (+1)
  17. UCLA (-1)
  18. Notre Dame
  19. Florida State
  20. UCF
  21. Tulane
  22. Oklahoma State
  23. Oregon State
  24. NC State
  25. Cincinnati

With week 11 in the books, Week 12 promises an exciting slate of games. Whether it be TCU attempting to stay unbeaten, or Georgia looking to avoid a possible trap game, here are the five biggest games for week 12.

#4 TCU at Baylor

TCU heads to Waco to take on rival Baylor in the 2022 edition of The Revivalry. The two Christian schools in North Texas will go head-to-head for the 118th time. With playoff implications high in this one, the Bears wouldn’t mind playing spoiler to Sonny Dykes’ successful first season at TCU.

#10 Utah at #12 Oregon

The Ducks look to bounce back from their loss a week prior as they play host to the Utah Utes in a battle for a spot in the PAC-12 Championship game in Las Vegas. With questions about the health of Ducks QB Bo Nix, Utah will look to bump the Ducks down and out of the title game spot.

Illinois at #3 Michigan

Jim Harbaugh’s Wolverines have next week’s matchup with Ohio State circled on the calendar, but Illinois doesn’t want to be overlooked. Sitting at 6-4, the Illini are having one of their best seasons to date, and they look to spoil Big Blue’s party a week early.

#1 Georgia at Kentucky

The Bulldogs are only two wins away from completing an undefeated regular season for the second year in a row. To do so, they’re going to have to get through preseason hyped Kentucky. The Wildcats haven’t lived up to the hype this season, but with highly touted prospect Will Levis leading the offense, they look to shock the top Dawgs of college football.

#7 USC at #16 UCLA

There’s been a college football revival in Los Angeles. With both the Trojans and Bruins playing at a high level, the Rose Bowl will be the place to be on Saturday night, as these two highly ranked crosstown rivals go head-to-head. USC will look to all but secure their spot in the PAC-12 Championship game, while UCLA will look to knock them out altogether.