The news site of Glacier Peak High school

The Edge

The Edge

The Edge

Recent Comments

College Football Playoff Rundown- Week of November 7

After visiting UW in October, College GameDay heads to Athens. GA for a matchup between #9 Ole Miss and #2 Georgia

College Football Playoff rankings are back, and with that brings a new year of the Playoff Rundown. This week’s rankings looked fairly similar to last week’s first ranking of the year, with the top eight spots remaining exactly the same.  

1. Ohio State (1) 
  2. Georgia (2) 
  3. Michigan (3)
  4. Florida State (4) 
  5. Washington (5) 
  6. Oregon (6) 
  7. Texas (7) 
  8. Alabama (8) 
  9. Ole Miss (10)
  10. Penn State (11) 
  11. Louisville (13) 
  12. Oregon State (16) 
  13. Tennessee (17) 
  14. Missouri (12) 
  15. Oklahoma State (22) 
  16. Kansas (21) 
  17. Oklahoma (9) 
  18. Utah (18) 
  19. LSU (14) 
  20. Notre Dame (15) 
  21. Arizona (NR) 
  22. Iowa (NR) 
  23. Tulane (24) 
  24. North Carolina (NR) 
  25. Kansas State (23) 

“FSU should be ranked at #3, switch them with Michigan. Also, Alabama shouldn’t be in the top 10 right now,” Noah Hui said. 

“In my opinion, Washington should be in the top 4 and take Michigan’s spot. I also think that Ohio State should be swapped with Georgia. It feels like they always struggle taking down non-ranked teams like Rutgers last week when they were trailing at halftime,” Dylan Healy said. 

All that in mind, last week’s slate of action didn’t see much out of the normal. Outside of an upset causing Bedlam on the plains, many contenders got the job done and added a tally to the win column, though it wasn’t without stress for one squad in particular. 

#2 Georgia 30, #12 Missouri 21 

Still without superstar TE Brock Bowers, an unexpectedly less dominant Georgia team seemed to be on the ropes heading into a matchup with the surprise Missouri Tigers. Things were back and forth all day long in Athens, with Mizzou grabbing a 13-10 lead early on into the third quarter of action. That’s when Junior Carson Beck, in his first season as a starter, caught fire. Beck outdueled Mizzou’s Brady Cook, dragging the Bulldogs to a marquee victory at home. Though they haven’t been boat racing teams like the last two seasons, the Dawgs are still right in the thick of the playoff hunt, even without their stars. 

#8 Alabama 42, #14 LSU 28 

Alabama has been red-hot since their early season struggles against Texas and USF, but it was LSU who jumped out to a quick lead thanks to a 46-yard pitch and catch from Jayden Daniels to Malik Nabers. Bama quickly answered back, and the matchup was knotted at 21 heading into the locker rooms for halftime. When the Tigers scored to open up the second half, it was the last time they would all day. The Tide’s three unanswered touchdowns powered them to the victory. The story of the day was Jalen Milroe, who dominated on the ground for the Tide, collecting four rushing touchdowns. In fact, all 6 Alabama touchdowns came via the ground attack, letting Milroe’s arm have a reduced load for the afternoon. 

#5 Washington 52, #20 USC 42 

An evening matchup in the famed coliseum was seen as something of a trap game for the Huskies. Though USC was amidst a skid, having lost two of their last three and barely sneaking out of Berkley with a one-point win against Cal, the high-flying Trojan offense led by Caleb Williams was something to fear. Though Williams and the aerial attack damaged Washington for 312 yards and three touchdowns, it was the efforts of UW running back Dillon Johnson that led the Huskies to the win. Johnson’s 256 rushing yards and four rushing touchdowns were the difference maker in Southern California, with his fourth score of the day sealing the victory. Things aren’t all bad for USC though, as struggling defensive coordinator Alex Grinch was relieved of his duties after the loss. 

#7 Texas 33, #23 Kansas State 30 

There was concern around this game for the Longhorns, with it being freshman quarterback Maalik Murphy’s first real test. Murphy took over for the injured Quinn Ewers, who went down with a shoulder sprain during the ‘Horns 31-24 win over Houston and led Texas to a comfortable 35-6 win over BYU in his debut. K-State was much different though, having allowed just three points over their last two games. That didn’t seem to bother Murphy, who methodically built Texas a 27-7 lead with just 4 minutes left in the third quarter. That’s when the turnover bug bit the Longhorns, who quickly allowed the Wildcats back into the game. Three quick scores and a missed field goal left the game tied with just minutes remaining, where Texas kicker Bert Auburn nailed a go-ahead field goal. Though K-State made their way down field, a missed field goal seemed to put the game to rest. That was until Texas couldn’t grab a first down, giving the ball back to K-State. This time, the Wildcats put one through the uprights, forcing an overtime period where yet another Texas field goal gave them the lead. Will Howard moved the ‘Cats to the six-yard line, before a goal-line stand helped Texas escape with the win. 

#22 Oklahoma State 27, #9 Oklahoma 24 

In the final edition of Bedlam, the red-hot Cowboys got the last laugh and eliminated their in-state rivals from playoff contention. Doak Walker frontrunner Ollie Gordon had an afternoon, totaling 137 rushing yards and two rushing touchdowns. Things weren’t without controversy however, with the Sooners upset that no pass interference call was given to wide receiver Drake Stoops, on a play which would have allowed OU to set up shop on the OSU two-yard line. In a back-and-forth game all day, Gordon’s second score on the ground gave the Pokes a 24-21 lead, one they wouldn’t relinquish for the rest of the afternoon. When the final whistle sounded, Cowboy fans stormed the field, sending their in-state rival to the SEC with the ultimate scoreboard.  

With only a month remaining until conference championship week, here’s what I think the top 25 should look like: 

1. Ohio State 
  2. Georgia 
  3. Florida State (+1) 
  4. Washington (+1) 
  5. Michigan (-2) 
  6. Texas (+1) 
  7. Oregon (-1) 
  8. Alabama 
  9. Penn State (+1) 
  10. Ole Miss (-1) 
  11. Louisville 
  12. Oregon State 
  13. Tennessee 
  14. Kansas (+2) 
  15. Oklahoma State  
  16. Missouri (-2) 
  17. Utah (+1) 
  18. LSU (+1) 
  19. Notre Dame (+1) 
  20. Oklahoma (-3) 
  21. Arizona  
  22. Iowa 
  23. Tulane 
  24. North Carolina 
  25. Kansas State 

This week’s slate includes a handful of star-studded matchups. From a top 10 showdown in Happy Valley, to college gameday in Athens, here’s the top five games of this weekend. 

#3 Michigan @ #10 Penn State 

Michigan has been in the middle of a whirlwind investigation, but the firing of Connor Stallions has seemed to calm the waters around the program. On the other sideline, Penn State’s James Franklin has an opportunity to finally prove he can beat a top-10 team. The Nittany Lions will look to shake up the Big 10 race with a victory, while Michigan will look to win in their first real test of the year. 

#18 Utah @ #5 Washington 

Utah has been called the Iowa of the PAC-12. Rather than a high-flying passing attack, Utah slowly and methodically moves the football down the field, tiring out opposing defenses. Their offense is a stark contrast to the Huskies, who put up points in bunches thanks to Michael Penix Jr and his lethal core of wide receivers. The Huskies will look to stay undefeated and in the thick of the playoff race, while the Utes will look to redeem themselves after being blown out against Oregon. 

#13 Tennessee @ #14 Missouri 

After last season’s performance from Hendon Hooker and the Volunteers, expectations were high on Rocky Top. Though they aren’t in the thick of the playoff race like they were last season, Joe Milton has kept Tennessee on the right track. Sitting at 7-2, the battle between the Vols and Tigers represents a battle for second in the SEC East. Can the Vols sit themselves just behind Georgia, or will Brady Cook’s Tigers bounce back after their loss to the Dawgs? 

#9 Ole Miss @ #2 Georgia 

Last week’s performance left the Dawgs feeling good after their big test against Missouri. There wasn’t much time to celebrate in Athens, as UGA now has to face their first top-10 showdown of the season. Lane Kiffin, also known as Joey Freshwater, has the Rebels tied atop the SEC West, waiting for Alabama to drop a conference game. Former USC transfer Jaxson Dart has the Rebels in the hunt for the SEC, but Georgia will aim to put a stop to their push for the postseason. The GameDay crew will be in Athens for this Top-10 showdown between two of the SEC’s best. 

USC @ #6 Oregon 

USC may not be ranked, but the Trojans offense means they’re capable of beating anyone, Oregon included. Considered by many to be the best one-loss team in the country, the Ducks can’t let a potential trap game knock them out of the playoffs. USC’s offense is their biggest strength, but the same can be said for Oregon, whose offensive attack may actually be better. Bo Nix and company have been humming as of late, and the Ducks defense sets them apart from the Trojans. Oregon’s team defense ranks third in the PAC-12, while USC’s comes in at third-to-last.