Hats Off

photo by Rachael Gitnes

Rachael Gitnes, Staff Writer

Whether it is a bad hair day or just plain freedom, more and more students are becoming fed up with the usual rule of no hats in class. Juniors Samuel Cahill and Noah Neill are attempting to do something about it.

After working for the past couple of weeks, talking to students and getting signatures, they now have over 400 supporters for their cause.

“Everyone is really excited about it”, Neill said. They believe it would improve morale and attentiveness of the students.

“I think of GP as a home and hats are just a way of life for me,” Cahill said.

The boys recently saw the president of the Glacier Peak school board at school with Mr. Peters. On that particular day Jay Hagen happened to have a baseball cap on. Neill decided to ask for a picture of him with his hat on.

“He thought it was funny. He was laughing,” Neill said.

Hagen told the two boys that our school board was starting to take steps towards banning the hats off rule.

“The current rule is a decision made by the staff,” Principal Dean said.

The matter had actually been brought up at the last staff meeting.

“There’s definitely a process of approval,” Dean said. The staff intends to bring the matter back up for discussion in January.

“I don’t believe there will be any change in official rules until at least second semester. But until then students still need to recognize the dress code,” Dean said. Cahill and Neill have faith in the staff that they will consider their petition and agree fairly to their proposal.

“We really think it will change and if it does, it would be a Christmas miracle,” Cahill said.