DECA the Halls with Boughs of Holly

photo by Andria Desroche

Andria Desroche, Staff Writer

As The Holiday Season rolls around, it’s time to DECA the halls with boughs of holly. Break out the Hot Cocoa, Mistletoe, snow boots, and good ole’ Christmas carols as winter hits Glacier Peak.  Just in time for Christmas to come to town lights, wrapping paper, and photo shopped reindeer deck the halls of the school. So grab your scissors and tape, and sign your name on Mr. Hills Naughty and Nice list.

“Four years ago, Jordan Lorenzo was the president of DECA, he loved puns, and one day he just threw out ‘DECA the halls’” Ms. Sents said, the DECA Adviser. This started the now tradition that many teachers and students get into.

DECA the Halls is a school wide competition lasting from December 15th through December 19th. The thought behind the tradition is to give the halls a holiday feel. Done by second period classes, some teachers put class on hold completely until the door is finished. The doors are judged on; Theme (which for 2014 is ‘Santa’s Workshop’), Creativity/Uniqueness, Neatness, Cohesiveness, and Student Participation.

Years later, the school tradition is going strong, “Next year we want to have it last a whole month to try and give classes more time, we think it will get more people to participate.” Sents said. The goal eventually is to have the whole school participating in DECA the halls.

As you walk down the science hall passed Mr. Hills class you will feel as if you are in Santa’s workshop. Snowflakes hang from the ceiling, a conveyer belt made of paper lowers presents into a box full of toys for all of the good girls and boys. Fake snow lines the edges of the halls and the Naughty and Nice list stretches high with sharpies so students may right their names as they walk to class. Which will you be on?