A Royal Experience

photo by Faith Krieger

Hannah Graves, Staff Writer

As the semester winds down and the holidays are around the corner, shining crowns are spotted in the halls. Gold, silver, red, and blue ride on the top of sophomores heads as they are seen going to and fro from world history teacher, Darrin Divito’s class room. Instead of doing a normal unit full of power points and notes, he came up with an exciting way to learn about European royalty. Each color corresponds with a certain country, red for Spain, gold for Russia, silver for England and blue for France.

“It was nice to do something different for a unit,” Kelly Wygant said. As winter break approached most students start to lose focus but this interactive week keeps everyone’s attention. Through the week the students continue to learn and have fun at the same time. “We just beat the crap out of each other the whole time,” Chris Bianchini said.

One of the highlights of the week was when the class played a giant game of human chess. “I felt like I really was in medieval times when I sword fought George Johnson,” said Wygant. Divito and his class pushed all the desks to the out skirts of the room and made the entire floor the chess board. When the students would normally just take the piece off the chess board, they got to sword fight each other with foam swords before knocking each other out.

On the last day, Divito brought in a professional dance instructor to teach the kids the dances of the era that they were studying.  “My favorite part was the dancing because you really got to see how different things were back then, for example you could only touch finger tips, whereas now people are grinding and such,” Nicole Bauman said. “We didn’t get very much time to do, it but it was definitely my favorite part.”