Giving Back

Giving+Back

Lexi Little, Staff Writer

For the past three years, Mr. Divito and a small group of students have gone out into Seattle and devoted their time to give out lunches to the homeless. In preparation for this, Mr. Divito has a donation box in his room. Students bring bread, peanut butter, jam, water bottles, and other snacks to fill the lunches. Once the food is collected, students come in after school and spend hours making over 300 lunches to give out. 

“It started three years ago, Kate Looney and Natalie Rasmussen introduced the idea to me,” Divito said. Ever since, he has been a huge role in the process. Not only is it an important event to him, the students that help, dedicate a significant amount of time and effort as well. 

This year Looney, along with Mikala Pratt, Andrew McCoy, Justin Thurston, and Antonio Di Nardo went down early Sunday morning and spent the day passing out lunches and spending time with those in need. Along with food, the group collected hats, scarves, socks and other clothing items to give out for the cold Seattle winter.

“I like watching their reactions,” Rasmussen said. “We have it so good, so we need to give back to those who don’t have it as easy as us.” All of the students have almost the same feelings toward this service – “we have so much to give, so we need to act on it.”