Beauty and the Beast: A Tale As Old As Time

The official movie poster. Credit: Walt Disney Studios.

Emily Nina, Staff Writer

Whether you grew up in the 2000’s, or are strictly a 90’s kid, Disney movies were ever-present in the childhood of a current Grizzly student. Bill Condon has taken on the directing of a 2017 remake in live-action of Disney Classic animated film Beauty and the Beast. Walt Disney Pictures will produce the film in conjunction with Mandeville Films.

Emma Watson, cast as Belle, has given us sneak peaks of her costumes in the film, and has taken a personal spin on the role. The actress publicly refused to wear a constricting corset during filming because she felt that Belle in real life would need to be mobile for all the work she was doing. She wanted to be a modern-day princess, and a role model for breaking gender stereotypes, while keeping the classic Belle image alive in the film. Gaston, played by Luke Evans has already captured hearts before the premiere, becoming the center focus of many editorial movie previews.

Though filming began in mid-2015, news of the new movie was kept under wraps until enough material had been generated to release a trailer. The film has already premiered in London on February 23rd, and will hit the U.S. box office on March 17th.

Though some are skeptical about the film’s release, directors and cast have assured us the magic of the original story will be very much alive in the modern remake. Trailers have shown us a graceful transition from the first animation to the live-action acting. Though unclear if any nonreality animation will be included in the film, the spirit of the talking dishes, beast and castle show in the first-released previews.