Sacrificing Mental Health for the Grade

Student Blake Beltran stresses over an extreme homework load.

Cheyenne Stultz

Cheyenne Stultz, Staff Writer

Whether it’s one night of severe worry while finishing an essay, or weeks on end struggling to keep your head above the stacks of homework surrounding you, you probably have had to sacrifice your mental health for the grade at one point in time. This is dangerous.

There are other factors that contribute to an unhealthy mental state, but for many high school students, especially here at Glacier Peak, there is an unspoken expectation for a perfect grade point average or competitive grades, that provides a heavy weight to carry in day to day life.

There are many dangers that come along with this concept. In 2017 Huffington Post published an article with the statistic that 62 percent of students struggle with toxic anxiety. Unspoken, undiagnosed and often unnoticed by others, students are living with constant worry but are only focused on getting the best possible grade.

Many are aware of the serious effects of an unhealthy mental state such as extreme fatigue, unrest, and depression, but disregard them to maintain their GPA.

The real question is, what can students do to take on homework, extracurriculars, and a busy lifestyle with a more positive mental state?

Promoting positive mental health in your own life while under stress is not an easy task but is necessary. First, take a step back. Just take one moment to asses your current state while under pressure and see if there is something small you can do to help yourself while in the situation.

You may not be able to put off the paper until morning, but grab a glass of water, turn on another light, sit yourself in a posture to work, turn on some light music, or even take a five-minute break. There are countless numbers of small things you can do that would work special to you. Remove yourself from the stressful situation for only a moment and find a quick way to improve your circumstances.

If you are in a constant state of worry over your grades, try to work on one thing at a time. You may find that completing the easy or small things first will improve your work ethic by finding success in completion.

Grades are important, but the state your mind is in is even more important. Sacrificing the perfection of an assignment is much better than sacrificing your happiness, ability to cope, and ultimately, your health.